While physically separate, we are bound together in God’s love. Please join us for online worship on Sunday, 10AM Minnesota time via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/94331579175
Click here for this Sundays Readings
This Sunday’s Readings| July 12, 2020 6 Pentecost
Psalm 119:105-112 or 65(1-8),9-14|Genesis 25:19-34 or Isaiah 55:10-13| Romans 8:1-11|Matthew 13:1-9,18-23
As the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
and do not return there until they have watered the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
Quote of the week:
“Kinship– not serving the other, but being one with the other. Jesus was not “a man for others”; he was one with them. There is a world of difference in that.” ― Gregory Boyle, Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
Online Book of Common Prayer
Click here to make a donation to St. Edward’s. Thank you for your generosity.
Weekly Email Message–July 8, 2020
Brothers and Sisters,
Happy Summer! As a reminder that I will be gone this coming Sunday and Timothy Williams will be leading our Liturgy of the Word. When I return on July 19 we will begin our outdoor services, weather permitting. Please see below for this week’s announcements. There is a lot going on please read through the message.
Here are the updates for this week:
Sunday Worship—We will continue our virtual services this Sunday and we will be hosting coffee hour following the service. It is so nice to see you all gathered virtually to worship. If you would like to be a Lector please let me know. Kate May and Audra Rudys will be our lectors this Sunday. Here is the link to the bulletin: http://stedwards-mn.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/7-12-20-Sixth-Sunday-After-Pentecost-LOW.pdf
You can access all the information for our online worship right on the front page of our website. You can also find a link on the front page to make a donation right to St. Edward’s. Many thanks to Audra Rudys for helping make this possible. Also, thank you all for your generosity to St. Edward’s to help continue the work we are doing in our communities.
Topic: Sunday Morning Worship
Time: July 12, 2020 10:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Every week on Sun,
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 943 3157 9175
Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
Meeting ID: 943 3157 9175
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adWZoFu8tM
Next Steps in Opening St. Edwards:
We are writing to give an update about the next steps in the COVID-19 pandemic’s effect on St. Edward’s. We are committed to ensuring the safety of all people and are working in consultation with the Diocese.
The ECMN this past week has given an update of where we are. We continue in Phase 1.5 but there has been a provision that now allows communities to hold services outside. As a reminder here are the faith community guidelines while in Phase 1.5:
Faith Community Guidelines from the Episcopal Church in Minnesota and the Bishop.
- Groups of 10 or fewer individuals may return to faith community buildings to film or live-stream services, as long as appropriate physical distancing is maintained.
- Weddings and funerals that cannot be postponed may take place, as long as they are gatherings of 10 people or less and follow the physical distancing and the wearing of masks.
- Those who are sick, those who have underlying health conditions, and those who are over the age of 65 should not re-gather in any form or fashion during this phase.
- During Phase 1.5 the Office of the Bishop and Missioners will still remain closed, and 1101 W Broadway will still not host events or gatherings of any size. We are advising that Church offices, during this phase, do the same.
- During Phase 1.5 the Office of the Bishop and Missioners will still remain closed, and 1101 W Broadway will still not host events or gatherings of any size. We are advising that Church offices, during this phase, do the same. Missioners and the Bishop will be in the office minimally to complete essential business as needed. An office calendar tracking visits will be used for contract tracing purposes if someone becomes sick.
- All other groups and gatherings continue to be suspended until further notice.
- Faith Communities may gather outdoors, provided they follow safety precautions outlined in Appendix I.
In response to this new provision the Vestry has made the following decisions:
Beginning July 19, 2020 we will begin holding outdoor services at 10:00 am.
- The service will be broadcast via Zoom for those who would like to attend virtually.
- We will hold the services on the patio with music. Congregational singing will not be allowed.
- This will be a Eucharistic Service. We will only be distributing bread and we will not share the cup.
- Social distancing must be followed; households are to be 6ft away from each other
- Must wear masks
- Hand sanitizer will be provided
- No handshakes, high fives or hugs
- If there is a greater than 50% change of rain, we will notify the congregation via email, no later than noon on Saturday, that we will hold services only via zoom that Sunday
- Bulletins will be printed and all inclusive, we will not use books
- The church building will continue to be closed but access to restrooms will be available. We ask that you please go directly to the patio for the worship service. The sanctuary and other parts of the building will be closed
- There will be no coffee hour
- A sound system has been purchased for the event and Josh Williams will be working with Fr. Jason on how best to get the audio to work. We ask for your patience as we learn a new way of doing services.
- We will need a couple of volunteers each Sunday to help set up the altar and sound equipment. If you would like to help please contact Fr. Jason.
- We will be taking peoples temperatures using a non-contact thermometer
- We will need household to sign in. This is to be able to contact people should we have a positive COVID test in the community
- Before and following the service all common contact areas will be cleaned with disinfectant
- We ask you to please bring your own camp chair or chair for you to sit on
Outside Groups and Bible Study
Beginning July 1 outside groups (AA), Bible Study Group, book study etc. will be allowed to regather at St. Edwards. In order to gather at St. Edwards, the following must be followed:
- No more than 10 people
- Masks must be worn
- No common food or beverages
- Areas used will be cleaned before and following the gathering
Pastoral Care and Visits
Beginning July 22, Fr. Jason is available to do at home pastoral visits.
- The meeting must take place outside
- Masks will be worn by Fr. Jason
- Social distancing will be observed
- Communion can be shared at your request
If you would like to schedule a visit please contact Fr. Jason at 612-865-5442 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We realize that this is a lot of information but as Bishop Craig has stated, “with this virus there is nothing that will remove all the risk we must focus on risk mitigation.” We feel that having these practices in place will help to bring the risk level down.
We are thankful for your understanding and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Please know you are in our prayers.
Fr. Jason Lucas, Rector
Brian Ripp, Senior Warden
Julie Maxa, Jr. Warden/Treasurer
Lynne Whitacre, Clerk
Kim Cooke, Member
Susan Ripp, Member
Cathy Voysey, Member
Monthly Outreach Project—The Community Spirit group is inviting us to participate in a monthly outreach fundraiser. This past month the fundraiser was for ICA Food Shelves. With the match we have raised $1000 for the fundraiser. We are going to be selecting a charity a month that we will raise funds for; but we need your help. Please let Fr. Jason know names of charities you would like us to consider for this monthly giving program.
The Weekly Message has been posted to our YouTube Channel I invite you to take a look. You can click here to see all the content from St. Edward’s. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVd7sM-hPqBgMYyr3r_QTg
Crystal Sonifer—I want to ask your prayer for our cleaner Crystal. Crystal is 5 months pregnant and she has been placed on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy. I ask your prayers for her health and the health of her baby. I am working with Opportunity Partners to get a temporary replacement during Crystals maternity leave. I have hired a temporary replacement for Crystal, her name is Anne Huddleson and she is with Opportunity Partners.
Fr. Jason away—I am needing to return to Arizona to take care of some family business and I will be gone on July 5-12th. Timothy Williams has agreed to lead Liturgy of the Word services on those Sundays. Please feel free to reach out while I am gone if I can be of any assistance.
Weeding around St. Edward’s—As the summer progresses our weeds seem to have come back. We could use some help weeding around St. Edward’s. Weeding is generally not included in our lawn care program so any help would be most appreciated. We can have all the supplies ready if you are able to come out and help with the weeding please let me know. Thank you!
Discussions about Race— TONIGHT! Martha Long has volunteered to help lead us in discussions about race. We will be beginning the book study on July 8 from 6:30-8:00 pm. I encourage as many of you to attend that can. We will send you the book and we will begin our discussions. We will be using a curriculum described below and we will hold the meetings via Zoom. If you would like to attend please contact Martha at email@example.com or myself and we will get you the information.
You can access the book study via Zoom:
Topic: martha Long’s Zoom Meeting
Time: Jul 8, 2020 06:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 772 7283 4292
Waking Up White: A Discussion Guide Created by Jenny Truax and Grace Hagen
About This Guide
This guide was developed in 2016-2017. Each session is about 90 minutes with plenty of wiggle room. We often spent the first half of the session sharing our reactions to the readings, and the second half discussing a current article, video, or subject that touched on the issue of racism and white privilege.
We tried to create a brave, vulnerable space where people could build relationships while engaging this work. To this end, we had people take turns bringing snacks and had breaks scheduled in every session. We hope you find it helpful!
Session One : Book Introduction and Establishing the Group
Session Two: Childhood in White
Session Three: Midlife Wake-Up Calls
Session Four: Why Didn’t we/I Wake Up Sooner?
Session Five: Rethinking Key Concepts
Session Six: Twenty-Five Years of Tossing and Turning
Session Seven: Leaving My Comfort Zone
Session Eight: Inner Work
Session Nine: Outer Work
Session Ten: Reclaiming My Humanity
Pledges and financial support—Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your continued financial support of St. Edwards. I met with a clergy colleague this week and shared with them how well we are financially even in the midst of the pandemic and it is due to your amazing generosity. The expenses of the church still continue even if the building is closed. Thank you. Audra Rudys has helped to create a link directly on our home page where you can make your one time donation. You can send your financial contributions via check to St. Edward’s 865 Ferndale Road N., Wayzata, MN 55391. If you would like to make your pledge via credit card please let Julie Maxa know and she will process it for you. Thank you for your continued support of St. Edwards. Our discretionary fund is also beginning to see an increase of requests for support in these uncertain times. If you would like to support our discretionary fund please send your check or call Julie with your credit card and just specify it is for the discretionary fund. Many thanks!
Masks—Kim Cooke has been making masks and has offered to make masks for members of our parish. If you would like one please contact Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will coordinate with you delivery either via post office or another method. Thank you Kim!
Forward Day by Day—We have the new forward Day by Day booklets in. If you would like one mailed to you please contact the office at email@example.com and we will send you one.
St. Edwards has received a grant of $4000. The vestry and I have decided that we will use this money to help others in these trying times. The discretionary fund is available for emergency help for food, utilities etc. If you or someone you know needs assistance please have them reach out to me.
Phone Tree—Many thanks to Lynne Whitacre, who has created a phone tree. It is listed below. I also have attached the directory to this email so you can be able to reach out to one another. Please call the people you are assigned to (or if you do not have an assignment, please feel free to check in with as many people as you like). It is vital that we keep communicating with each other during this time.
Phone Chain for St. Edward’s UPDATED 05/20/2020 PLEASE UPDATE YOUR LIST.
- J. Galloway
- J. Broughton
- Cassidy, G.
- Vail – J. & B.
If you need a directory please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org
My prayers are with you always and know that I will keep you up to date as I have more information.
Peace in Christ,
Fr. Jason B. Lucas