While physically separate, we are bound together in God’s love. Please join us for online or outdoors for worship on Sunday, 10AM Minnesota time via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/94331579175
Click here for this Sundays Readings
This Sunday’s Readings| August 9, 2020 10 Pentecost
Genesis 37:1-4, 12-28
Psalm 105:1-6, 16-22, 45b
And early in the morning he came walking toward them on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.”
Quote of the week:
I have learned to use my anger for good. . . . Without it, we would not be motivated to rise to a challenge. It is an energy that compels us to define what is just and unjust. — Gandhi
Brothers and Sisters,
I am so sorry I thought I had hit the send button this and I had not. Sorry for the delay.
It seems like we are having a week of absolutely beautiful weather I pray that you are all safe and healthy.
Here are the updates for this week:
Sunday Worship—As of right now it is looking a little iffy if we might have rain or not this Sunday. Please keep an eye on your email Saturday afternoon for an announcement on if we will hold outdoor services or not this Sunday. I am grateful to you all for your flexibility as we navigate the outdoors and the weather. Here is the link to the bulletin: http://stedwards-mn.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/8-9-2020-Tenth-Sunday-After-Pentecost.pdf
Lectors for August Services
You can access all the information for our online worship right on the front page of our website. You can also find a link on the front page to make a donation right to St. Edward’s. Many thanks to Audra Rudys for helping make this possible. Also, thank you all for your generosity to St. Edward’s to help continue the work we are doing in our communities.
Topic: Sunday Morning Worship
Time: August 9, 2020 10:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Every week on Sun,
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 943 3157 9175
Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
Meeting ID: 943 3157 9175
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adWZoFu8tM
Pastoral Visits and Communion—Just a reminder that I am available for a visit to your home (outdoors) and to bring communion. If you would like to have a visit or communion brought to you please contact me and we will get it scheduled.
Next Steps in Opening St. Edwards:
We are writing to give an update about the next steps in the COVID-19 pandemic’s effect on St. Edward’s. We are committed to ensuring the safety of all people and are working in consultation with the Diocese.
The ECMN this past week has given an update of where we are. We continue in Phase 1.5 but there has been a provision that now allows communities to hold services outside. As a reminder here are the faith community guidelines while in Phase 1.5:
Faith Community Guidelines from the Episcopal Church in Minnesota and the Bishop.
● Groups of 10 or fewer individuals may return to faith community buildings to film or live-stream services, as long as appropriate physical distancing is maintained.
● Weddings and funerals that cannot be postponed may take place, as long as they are gatherings of 10 people or less and follow the physical distancing and the wearing of masks.
● Those who are sick, those who have underlying health conditions, and those who are over the age of 65 should not re-gather in any form or fashion during this phase.
● During Phase 1.5 the Office of the Bishop and Missioners will still remain closed, and 1101 W Broadway will still not host events or gatherings of any size. We are advising that Church offices, during this phase, do the same.
● During Phase 1.5 the Office of the Bishop and Missioners will still remain closed, and 1101 W Broadway will still not host events or gatherings of any size. We are advising that Church offices, during this phase, do the same. Missioners and the Bishop will be in the office minimally to complete essential business as needed. An office calendar tracking visits will be used for contract tracing purposes if someone becomes sick.
● All other groups and gatherings continue to be suspended until further notice.
● Faith Communities may gather outdoors, provided they follow safety precautions outlined in Appendix I.
In response to this new provision the Vestry has made the following decisions:
Beginning July 19, 2020 we will begin holding outdoor services at 10:00 am.
· The service will be broadcast via Zoom for those who would like to attend virtually.
· We will hold the services on the patio with music. Congregational singing will not be allowed.
· This will be a Eucharistic Service. We will only be distributing bread and we will not share the cup.
· Social distancing must be followed; households are to be 6ft away from each other
· Must wear masks
· Hand sanitizer will be provided
· No handshakes, high fives or hugs
· If there is a greater than 50% change of rain, we will notify the congregation via email, no later than noon on Saturday, that we will hold services only via zoom that Sunday
· Bulletins will be printed and all inclusive, we will not use books
· The church building will continue to be closed but access to restrooms will be available. We ask that you please go directly to the patio for the worship service. The sanctuary and other parts of the building will be closed
· There will be no coffee hour
· A sound system has been purchased for the event and Josh Williams will be working with Fr. Jason on how best to get the audio to work. We ask for your patience as we learn a new way of doing services.
· We will need a couple of volunteers each Sunday to help set up the altar and sound equipment. If you would like to help please contact Fr. Jason.
· We will be taking peoples temperatures using a non-contact thermometer
· We will need household to sign in. This is to be able to contact people should we have a positive COVID test in the community
· Before and following the service all common contact areas will be cleaned with disinfectant
· We ask you to please bring your own camp chair or chair for you to sit on
Outside Groups and Bible Study
Beginning July 1 outside groups (AA), Bible Study Group, book study etc. will be allowed to regather at St. Edwards. In order to gather at St. Edwards, the following must be followed:
· No more than 10 people
· Masks must be worn
· No common food or beverages
· Areas used will be cleaned before and following the gathering
Pastoral Care and Visits
Beginning July 22, Fr. Jason is available to do at home pastoral visits.
· The meeting must take place outside
· Masks will be worn by Fr. Jason
· Social distancing will be observed
· Communion can be shared at your request
If you would like to schedule a visit please contact Fr. Jason at 612-865-5442 or email@example.com.
We realize that this is a lot of information but as Bishop Craig has stated, “with this virus there is nothing that will remove all the risk we must focus on risk mitigation.” We feel that having these practices in place will help to bring the risk level down.
We are thankful for your understanding and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Please know you are in our prayers.
Fr. Jason Lucas, Rector
Brian Ripp, Senior Warden
Julie Maxa, Jr. Warden/Treasurer
Lynne Whitacre, Clerk
Kim Cooke, Member
Susan Ripp, Member
Cathy Voysey, Member
Fr. Jason returns to ¾ time status beginning September 1. – I am most grateful to you all for allowing me the opportunity to go full-time during the beginning of the COVID crisis as it allowed me the opportunity to figure out how to work in this new paradigm. After prayer and consideration of how I can best serve St. Edwards I talked with the Bishop and the Vestry and I will be doing an extended Clinical Pastoral Education program at United Hospital beginning September 1. I will be returning to ¾ status and working the rest of the time at the Hospital. This means I might not be available to return emails and phone calls right away but I will still be holding my office hours Wednesdays from 9-1 and will be available by appointment. This is a nine month program but will allow me the be able to better serve our community in hospitals and clinical care settings. If you have any questions please let me know.
Monthly Outreach Project—The Community Spirit group is inviting us to participate in a monthly outreach fundraiser. This past month the fundraiser was for ICA Food Shelves. With the match we have raised $1000 for the fundraiser. We are going to be selecting a charity a month that we will raise funds for; but we need your help. Please let Fr. Jason know names of charities you would like us to consider for this monthly giving program.
The Weekly Message has been posted to our YouTube Channel I invite you to take a look. You can click here to see all the content from St. Edward’s. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVd7sM-hPqBgMYyr3r_QTg
Weeding around St. Edward’s—I am so grateful to Audra and her family for coming out and getting us started on weed removal from our grounds. There is still a lot of weeding to do. If you are able to help please let Fr. Jason know.
Graduation Celebration—Kate and James Long graduated from High School this past May and we will be having a celebration for them as they head to college in August. We will hold a celebration Eucharist August 9 at 10:00 am. Cards and or your presence would be most welcome. WE also ask for prayers for no rain that Sunday
Discussions about Race—the book study has begun and out first meeting what very productive and encouraging. Our next meeting will be August 5. I encourage as many of you to attend that can. We will send you the book and we will begin our discussions. We will be using a curriculum described below and we will hold the meetings via Zoom. If you would like to attend please contact Martha at firstname.lastname@example.org or myself and we will get you the information.
Waking Up White: A Discussion Guide Created by Jenny Truax and Grace Hagen
About This Guide
This guide was developed in 2016-2017. Each session is about 90 minutes with plenty of wiggle room. We often spent the first half of the session sharing our reactions to the readings, and the second half discussing a current article, video, or subject that touched on the issue of racism and white privilege.
We tried to create a brave, vulnerable space where people could build relationships while engaging this work. To this end, we had people take turns bringing snacks and had breaks scheduled in every session. We hope you find it helpful!
Session One : Book Introduction and Establishing the Group
Session Two: Childhood in White
Session Three: Midlife Wake-Up Calls
Session Four: Why Didn’t we/I Wake Up Sooner?
Session Five: Rethinking Key Concepts
Session Six: Twenty-Five Years of Tossing and Turning
Session Seven: Leaving My Comfort Zone
Session Eight: Inner Work
Session Nine: Outer Work
Session Ten: Reclaiming My Humanity
Pledges and financial support—Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your continued financial support of St. Edwards. I met with a clergy colleague this week and shared with them how well we are financially even in the midst of the pandemic and it is due to your amazing generosity. The expenses of the church still continue even if the building is closed. Thank you. Audra Rudys has helped to create a link directly on our home page where you can make your one time donation. You can send your financial contributions via check to St. Edward’s 865 Ferndale Road N., Wayzata, MN 55391. If you would like to make your pledge via credit card please let Julie Maxa know and she will process it for you. Thank you for your continued support of St. Edwards. Our discretionary fund is also beginning to see an increase of requests for support in these uncertain times. If you would like to support our discretionary fund please send your check or call Julie with your credit card and just specify it is for the discretionary fund. Many thanks!
Masks—Kim Cooke has been making masks and has offered to make masks for members of our parish. If you would like one please contact Kim at email@example.com. She will coordinate with you delivery either via post office or another method. Thank you Kim!
Forward Day by Day—We have the new forward Day by Day booklets in. If you would like one mailed to you please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you one.
St. Edwards has received a grant of $4000. The vestry and I have decided that we will use this money to help others in these trying times. The discretionary fund is available for emergency help for food, utilities etc. If you or someone you know needs assistance please have them reach out to me.
Phone Tree—Many thanks to Lynne Whitacre, who has created a phone tree. It is listed below. I also have attached the directory to this email so you can be able to reach out to one another. Please call the people you are assigned to (or if you do not have an assignment, please feel free to check in with as many people as you like). It is vital that we keep communicating with each other during this time.
Phone Chain for St. Edward’s UPDATED 05/20/2020 PLEASE UPDATE YOUR LIST.
- J. Galloway
- J. Broughton
- Cassidy, G.
- Vail – J. & B.
If you need a directory please contact the office at email@example.com
My prayers are with you always and know that I will keep you up to date as I have more information.
Peace in Christ,
Fr. Jason B. Lucas